Recruitment + Tryouts
No previous dance experience is required to join! Our Fall 2022 Recruitment cycle is over, but DM us on Instagram to get involved this or next semester!
Interested in joining the Cornell DanceSport Team? Great! Here’s what you need to know:
- No previous dance experience is required to join. A large majority of our team is made up of students who had never learned Ballroom or Latin dancing before joining. Some have never even had any dance training at all. The team works hard to bring all newcomers quickly up to a proficient and competitive level within a few months of joining.
- Improve with lessons and practice space. The team offers multiple lessons per week taught by advanced team members. The team schedules studio space for members to practice what they have learned individually or in partnerships.
- Coaching from Professionals. While the team teachers will teach you everything they know, nothing compares to a lesson from a professional. The team recruits top dancers and teachers to visit Cornell. Members are able to take group lessons and discounted private lessons with these talented professional dancers.
- Compete and travel. The team competes a few weekends every semester to nearby collegiate and amateur competitions. Past events and cities have included:
|New York City||Big Apple DanceSport Challenge||Columbia University|
|Princeton, NJ||Princeton Ballroom Competition||Princeton University|
|Philadelphia, PA||UPenn Classic||University of Pennsylvania|
|Washington, DC||DC DanceSport Inferno||University of Maryland|
|Boston, MA||MIT Open||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Colombus, OH||Ohio Star Ball||USA Dance|
- Joining team is a time commitment. The purpose of the team is to have its members to improve both as dancers and DanceSport competitors. As such, we expect team members to attend lessons regularly, come to group lessons held by professionals, and plan to travel to as many competitions as they can. This being said all educational obligations should take priority over team events.
- There is a semesterly membership fee. Team members pay a semesterly membership fee which helps pay for competition registration fees, travel to competitions, and attract professional dancers and coaches to come to teach at Cornell.
Further questions? Please do not hesitate to contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or send a general inquiry.